To promote organ and tissue donation awareness through participation in the Transplant Games of America.
The primary goal of Team Michigan is to raise awareness of the miracle of organ donation and the success of transplantation. By joining Team Michigan, you can serve as a champion for the thousands of Americans currently on the waiting list to receive a lifesaving organ transplant. As of January 1, 2014 there are over 120,000 men, women and children on the waiting list in the U.S. and over 3,200 wait list candidates are in Michigan.
Team Philosophy and Goals:
Organ and tissue donation is a selfless act of love and compassion from one person for the benefit of another, in many instances a complete stranger. In this spirit of altruism, each team member is encouraged to adopt the philosophy that their involvement extends beyond their personal participation in the Games and Team Michigan.
Beyond their work with the Games, Team Michigan members work together to serve the greater good of the public community and the donation/transplant family, continuing the legacy of donors and donor families everywhere.
Team Michigan members - including recipients, living donors, donor families and other supporters - can serve in so many ways beyond their involvement with the Games by helping others along their donation or transplant journey, mentoring another in their grief process, providing support to caregivers and by joining fellow teammates in raising awareness about organ and tissue donation.
The team's primary goal is to promote organ and tissue donation awareness through participation in the Transplant Games and other relation activities. Each member shall be encouraged to:
- Actively support the goals and objectives of the Games, including raising public awareness about organ and tissue donation and supporting the goal to END THE WAIT before, during, and after the Games.
- Act as an advocate for organ donation and the team.
- Involve the entire local community in activities to acheive the Team's goals.
- Assist in building and sustaining local donation and transplantation-related efforts through fundraising, volunteerism, etc..
- Participate in activities at the Games.
Team Michigan understands the athletic desire to compete and do your best. We also abide the philosophy that while competing as part of the games, it should never be at the expense of hurting, injuring, or being cruel to anyone attending the games